Daily Schedule


Jackson requires a very detailed schedule in order to prepare himself for both the work and transitions of a "typical" school day. It does not matter if he is being taught at home or in an institutional environment, he REQUIRES a detailed schedule for success. One of the failures of the public school was their inability to provide him with this information. I create his schedule every night and keep it on a clip board. He is allowed to bring it anywhere he wants so he can frequently refer to it throughout the day. This helps him understand the expectations for his time and academic efforts.


Here is our actual schedule from Friday, November 11th.

8-8:30 Watch News & Eat Breakfast
8:30 Get Dressed, Deodorant, Vitamins, Brush Teeth
8:45-9:30 *Morning Work*
- Daily Work: 1 worksheet
- Handwriting: 1 worksheet
- Read Chapter 3 in Big Nate
- Yoga
9:30-11 Shopping (with iPod): Harris Teeter, Starbucks
11 - 12 *Language Arts*
- Read, cut, & paste articles from New York Times into writing journal
- Spelling Test: 2 worksheets
- Sentence Building Lesson: 2 worksheets
- Antonyms Lesson: 2 worksheets
- iPad: 2 games: iSentence, Feel Electric
12-12:30 Lunch
12:30-1 Walk Duke
1-2 *Math*
- Odd/Even & Rounding Review: 2 worksheets
- Greater/Less Than Lesson: 2 worksheets
- Place Value Lesson: 1 worksheet
- iPad games: SplashMath - 2, 20 question quizzes
2-2:30 iPad Reward
2:30-3 *Social Studies*
- Color, cut and paste 3 worksheets on members of family
- Create Family Tree Book
3-4 End of School Day: Tivo
4-5 Computer
5:00 Download Skeeball to iPad for "Awesome Week" reward
6-9 Georgetown Women's Basketball Game
9:30 Bedtime

Follow me on Twitter too: https://twitter.com/#!/hometeachautism

Comments

  1. First of all, I cannot believe how OLD J looks in that picture! Second of all, I am even more sure of a fact I have known for a long time. You, Allison Trotter, are an amazing mother. You astound me at your organization, your commitment to teach J on the terms he needs and your willingness to drop everything and turn your daily life upside down. And I love that you are blogging about it. I am SO proud to call you my friend. I can't wait to see how many people you touch through this blog and this new chapter in your life. And I can't wait to see, read about, hear about all of the progress J makes and how much happier he is. So, so, so proud of you. I'll be praying for you and J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you do when your child refuse to do the work? My child is in a k12 and is in the 6th grade and refuse to do math work. I am not sure if it is to hard or just lazy and do not want to do it. He use to get good grades in Math when younger, I also do a lot of breaks and it does help some,but I feel like we get behind and makes me stressed out. My son has not been diagnosed with autism yet but he is showing more and more of the signs and seems to be getting worse since I home school him and he is not in a regular school. Maybe there is some resentment there, even though he said he wanted to be home school so he would quit getting bullied. He has a Iep since he was a kindergartner, and sometimes i just think that is a waste of time. Frustrated Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Frustrated Mom- Did you continue to homeschool? We are dealing with the same situation- very little to no enthusiasm to initiate or complete homework. I believe it has to do with the core deficits and traits of Autism and ADD. They have a lot of issues initiating any non-preferred tasks. We use a reward system similar to ABA but have tried many different kinds. My kids satiate on the rewards and they need to be changed rapidly. I have started reading the Nurtured Heart Approach by Glasser as recommended by an RDI consultant we are now working with (RDI is a form of treatment for Autism and neurological differences.) I hope it all worked out!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Select an Autism Homeschool Curriculum

9th Grade Boy's Autism Curriculum

7th Grade Girl's Honors Homeschool Curriculum 2014-2015